Friday, 14 February 2014

Is it cheap to shop here?

Before leaving for Bangkok, many people told us not to buy anything back home for our trip and to leave the shopping for here because it is so much cheaper.  After being here over 3 months, I am not sure I totally agree.  Let me clarify.  Yes, you can find a lot of cheap things, but most of the time the cheap things really mean "cheap".  Very inexpensive clothing for example, needs a lot of tender, love and care - I only wash them on delicate cycle because I don't think they will last long otherwise.

Some things we have bought were at excellent prices and are of good quality for how much we paid, but you really have to be careful.  Maybe it's because I am not familiar with the city and don't know where the right places are to shop!  I thought because everything we buy back home and here is made in Asia, even the good stuff would be cheaper - but it's not.  Most of the brands we know back home are the same price or even more expensive (ie. Carters, designer names, Gap, Nike, Puma, etc.).  We are lucky to have places like Winners, Home Sense, Mexx (with its wonderful sales), Carters (with its wonderful sales), Banana Republic (with its wonderful sales), etc. Even the dollar store quality of back home seems better than the quality of the cheap stuff here.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining as I have shopped quite a bit and found some very very good deals - you just have to look for them and negotiate negotiate negotiate!

No comments:

Post a Comment