Today was my first day out without Cristiano and Adriano. It was my first day hands free and I planned to go shopping. I am finding the house a little dull and somewhat dark, so I wanted to shop for cushion covers to lighten up or warm up the space. I planned to meet up with a friend and head to the Jim Thompson outlet.
Here are some highlights to give you a bit of context on my day
It was an early start today because coincidentally Michael woke up before 5 a.m. (he usually sleeps until at least until 6:30 a.m.) so I wasn't very rested.
It was also a hectic morning because on Tuesdays our house keeper does not come to our place and Michael has to join me for school drop off.
The kids were dressed and all fed and it was my turn to get ready. Because it is 40 degrees at 8 a.m. in the morning, I opted for some short shorts. On an outing with the kids I always wear shorts with pockets so I can have easy access to my keys and sky train card but after putting my jean shorts on this morning I spotted a more comfortable pair, but this one without pockets. At the time I didn't think about the lack of pockets, I was aiming for comfort.
As I stepped out the door I realized I had no place to put my key card and the sky train card and regretted the choice of shorts but I didn't have time to change. So out the door I went with the cards in hand.
I dropped off the kids, went to the bank, took out my wallet and took more cash out than I usually do because today I was going shopping. Instead of putting my wallet back in my back pack, I kept it in hand and placed the key card and sky train card in it.
I used the sky train card, placed it back in the wallet and kept the wallet in hand.
The sky train was empty and we got some seats. I remember starring at a girl standing at the door of the train carrying a baby in a baby carrier and thinking how great it was that she has a zipper pocket on her carrier. Wallet in hand, I wished I had a pocket too.
Because Michael was drenched and now awake, I decided to change his position in the carrier to facing outwards. As I changing his position, I realize we arrived to our stop so I quickly arranged his position and stepped out. It was only when I was out that I realized I left my wallet on the seat and the doors were shutting. Catastrophe!
In the wallet was my Thai ID card, my house key card, my bank card and my sky train card, as well as over $200 in cash. I rushed to explained to the security guard what happened and unfortunately he did not understand me. So down to the station desk we went where I tried using Google translate. The attendant seemed to understand but he came back too quickly to tell me they couldn't find it and I had to sign some papers. I called Mike and his assistant helped with the translating but the result was the same. They checked the train and with the security guards at every following station and no wallet was found.
You can only imagine how upset I was, how disappointed I was in my negligence and how embarrassed I was. Thankfully Tracy was with me to calm my nerves and help with poor little Michael and thankfully she was with me so I that she can pay my way home. I quickly messaged my mom and Mike and asked for prayers to St. Anthony, for the return of lost items. I also thought that if someone took my money for the cash, maybe they really needed it and this is why every thing today aligned (as explained above) for me leaving my wallet on the sky train.
The day passed, new keys for the door were programmed, a new sky train card was purchased, a new bank card was obtained, and a police report was prepared for the lost ID card. And then at 4 p.m. I received a call from the Embassy telling me my wallet was just delivered with everything still in it. A professor at the University was on the train with me and saw me leave the wallet. He attended his scheduled lunch and made his way to the Embassy to drop it off. Apparently a very sweet man and my good Samaritan.
I called and thanked him and hope to be meeting him soon to give him a thank you gift. So glad there are good people still in this world. Thank you St. Anthony and thank you my Good Samaritan.
No comments:
Post a Comment