Every person that visits Thailand usually has attending Thai cooking lessons on top of their list of to dos. Being in Bangkok we eat Thai food weekly, the boys included, but I certainly have not had the chance to sign up for Thai cooking lessons. However, I was recently honoured with a private Thai cooking lesson right in my home or as I like to call it - an ambush Thai cooking lesson! Really fun times and super yummy dishes. Here is what happened.
On our balcony we are lucky to have growing not only beautifully scented flower trees, but also a lot of Thai basil, lemon basil, lemongrass and green beans. One day our property manager and her assistant where here looking at the greens and I asked what I could cook with the lemon grass. Well, that is all it took...next thing I know they offered to come back tomorrow to teach me how to make Tom Yum soup. They said they would to go to the market the next day and get a pot from the landlord's son. We didn't agree on a time.
The next day, as I frantically finish showering the kids after pool time, take a shower myself and throw on something to wear, and then feed the kids lunch, the door bell rings and it was not just the two kind ladies that offered to teach me to cook. They both came, but with them was another lady that helps around the building as well as the landlord's son himself, with his pots and pans, and bags of food.
They prepped and cooked and I watched and wrote and tasted, oh and listened to stories. The landlord's son (Kit his name) is well traveled, studied abroad and speaks perfect English so between cooking and teaching me about his very cool pots and pans, he provided translation services.
 |
| the gang in the kitchen (me with no makeup and oh my, my hair!!) |
 |
| So sweet - they remembered Adriano likes broccoli so they made these with Oyster sauce - delicious |
 |
| And of course we had to sit down to eat |
 |
| Tom Yum, Broccoli with Oyster sauce, green curry and chicken soup |
No comments:
Post a Comment