Wednesday, 8 November 2017

How can I become King?

Before I proceed with the core of this blog post I just want to share what we were doing while this happened just so you can feel more like you were standing there with me when I was asked the question of all questions.

The day was Thursday and on Thursdays M goes to school.  I picked up C and A from their school at 2 p.m.  We took the school golf cart shuttle from the school to the top of the street, walked a little and caught the sky train because M's school is a little far.  Got off the sky train, took a short cab ride to get to M's school.  On the way back home from M's school we usually take his school's Tuk Tuk to the sky train but on that day unfortunately the Tuk Tuk had not arrived.  So we decided to walk.  Talking or singing is usually a big part of walking because otherwise the kids would complain about the length of the walk (with good reason of course: it is very hot here and this walk was taken after everyone has gone to school and traveled far to pick up M).

Now to the question of all questions.  As we are walking, C turned to me and asked me with all seriousness:
"So (pause) how can I become King?"

The question caught me off guard.  I couldn't help but laugh because he was very serious about the question and about aspiring to become a king.  Well, I answered him by explaining that long ago people conquered and became king and that now you become king only if you are the son of a king or the son of a queen.  Because Mike is not king and I am not queen, I put it bluntly to him that he will never become king...

He paused for a moment and thought about it a little and then asked, again with all seriousness:
"So can I become VIP instead?"

So then I really started laughing.  Where did he come up with that?  This kid has definitely some very high aspirations.   He asked me why I was laughing and I said that it was because he is so cute.  He responded by saying, "I still don't see why that's funny."

This was again one of those moments when I wish I had a camera attached to my head, like a Go Pro or something, so I can capture all these most special moments.  I am sure I am not the only momma out there that feels that way.

BTW this is us on a Tuk Tuk the week before.  This gives you an idea of how we roll.
I should add that his question came just a few days after the king had been cremated.  There was a lot of talk about the king and also many road closers and motorcades for various VIPs that came from our of town.  This all definitely had an impact on his thoughts and questions. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment